Melio is seeking a passionate Data Scientist to join our expanding team:
- Level: Junior/Intermediate
- Position: Full time
- Salary: Based on technical experience
- Location: South Africa (Remote)
As a fast-paced start-up, our day-to-day is never the same. We look for candidates who love to take up new challenges and have the flexibility to go above-and-beyond the call of duty.
That being said, this specific role is for a team member to work in the Machine Learning AI team as a Data Scientit.
The candidate will be working with clients on projects focused around delivering reliable data-powered software applications to production. The primary focus of the role involves the entire end-to-end data science life cycle, specially around exploratory data analysis, implementing data pipelines, training models (machine learning or not) and data visualisation.
Melio believes in nurturing cross-functional capabilities in our team, so you will need to work closely with other technical roles, such as data engineers, machine learning engineers, DevOps engineers either just to observe or to assist.
This is a technical role, but due to the consulting nature of many of our projects, the candidate needs to be able to communicate effectively with both business and technical stakeholders.
The list below is for both Data Scientist and Data Engineer. However, we are not expecting you to perform as both an Data Scientist and a Data Engineer. The idea is you should be sufficiently comfortable with either role to be aware and able to communicate and learn from your colleagues.
- Relevant data science or machine learning engineering experience (can be from studiies or side projects).
- Have programming experience, preferably fluent with Python and SQL.
- Strong analytical skills and passion for solving data problems.
- Strong communications skills and comfortable to present your own thoughts to technical and business stakeholders.
- Familiar with fundamental machine learning theory.
- Some experience with at least one Cloud provider.
- Some experience working with the Big Data Suite.
- Some experience working with test automation and tools.
- Some experience with building training and inference pipelines for ML projects.
- Understanding of database architectures.
- Work with Analytics team to design, implement and test data engineering and machine learning software.
- Build and test data engineering and machine learning pipelines for data analytics or machine learning solutions.
- Follow all best practices and procedures as established by the client or industry.
- Document designed solutions and implemented tools.
- Brainstorm new solutions to improve data and ML software development and deployment.
- Building data visualisation using BI tools.
- Monitor data/model metrics, and develop ways to improve application development and deployment.
- Maintain day-to-day management and administration of projects.
Qualification & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Software Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or related field.
- Contribute and/or passionate about open source projects.
- Start up/side project/product experience.
- Masters/PhD in Data Science, Machine Learning or AI.
- AWS certifications (or any other cloud).
- Interested in learning more about Cloud Native Computing Foundation technologies.
- Up-to-date on latest industry trends; able to articulate trends clearly and confidently.
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with all levels of management.
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
- Curious and eager to learn about new technologies.
- Strong in critical thinking and problem-solving.